Can I operate Amateur Radio in Europe?


My family is going to Spain, Germany, and Finland this summer. Can we operate amateur radio while we’re there?

Here are some references I found when researching this:




According to [1], “European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications Administrations (CEPT) radio-amateur license — allows US Amateurs to travel to and operate from most European countries without obtaining an additional license or permit.”

The U.S. is not a member of CEPT, but has agreed to it’s provisions for U.S. operators, but only of Advanced and Extra class.

My 11 year old technician licensee, KN6UIB, will not be able to operate in Europe, but I can.

I need to bring an official copy of my license, my passport, and a copy of the FCC’s guidelines on this [3].

I also need to append the appropriate region code on the end of my call, when operating in Europe. I need to find a good way to look these codes up on a map.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Your custom text © Copyright 2024. All rights reserved.