- 1 pound dry four corners beans (or pinto)
- 1.5 liters water
- 1 bunch green onions (white part only)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cassava flour
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 cups water
Prepare the beans:
- Saute the onions in a small frypan in a drizzle of olive oil.
- Put onions, beans, and water in a slow cooker and cook until done. Took maybe 6 hours on low.
- Drain and reserve excess water. Puree the beans, with olive oil and add salt and pepper to taste. Add the reserved bean water to achieve desired consistency.
Prepare the red sauce:
- Melt butter order medium heat. Turn off heat and whisk in cassava flour.
- Whisk in the remaining spices
- Add the tomato paste and water, and whisk until smooth. Bring to a simmer then remove from heat.
Place the beans in a serving dish and top with the red sauce. Finally, top the red sauce with creme fraiche or sour cream and queso fresco.